Sunday, September 2, 2007

Sugar & Spice

Hello, my Blogger friends! I hope you are all having a marvelous long weekend. We have had fun. Friday, we saw The Bourne Ultimatum. Eh, it was exactly what I thought it would be. Really, no more, no less. The hubby has always really liked the Bourne movies although he's never ever liked any sort of violent, cheesy, manly-men movies besides these oh AND Roadhouse which I have never fully understood. I just sat there thinking about how I really liked Julia Stiles' hair.

We were in my hometown this weekend. Yesterday, hit the local farmer's market for some lovely spiced pear jam and hit a flea market at Turkeyville! Bought a couple of overpriced mothball smelling books just so I wouldn't leave empty handed. Went to the zoo in the afternoon where Q loved the goats and the choo choo. Very fun.

Cornwell's Turkey Farm aka Turkeyville USA is kind of an institution in my hometown. All the entrees are turkey based-- turkey dogs, smoked turkey, turkey dinner, sloppy tom (like a sloppy joe but with shredded turkey instead of beef), you get the idea. There is an ice cream shop, candy shop, rather large gift area, dinner theater, antique barn, and when I was a kid, they'd have vaudevilian plays in tents outside and fireworks on the 4th of July. I was thinking of Sarah's post and thought to myself that this was probably the closest thing we have to The Ark, but Turkeyville is (to the best of my knowledge and thanks to lotsa red hat ladies) still going strong. Let me point out that my husband, sister-in-law, and mother-in-law all think it's pretty grody. My brother and I disagree even if we are simply blinded by nostalgia.

Anywho, on to the sugar and spice part of my post. I baked today! I don't ever bake, but Ryan was hankering for some Hello Dollies. The recipe I always start with is from my great grandma I think, and I have tweaked it a bit. However, I also saw a similar version on the stinkin' can of condensed milk, so I guess it's a pretty common recipe. Still lovely though, easy, and mighty tasty:

1 stick butter
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 cup chocolate chips (we use milk choc chips)
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts (we used pecans today cuz that's what we had)
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk

Spray square pan with cooking spray. Soften butter and mix with graham cracker crumbs. Press into bottom of pan. Layer with coconut, chips, and nuts. Pour condensed milk over all. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. Done!

And speaking of sugar & spice and little girls, Q liked helping which was more her eating the chocolate chips. Here she is in my favorite Rae Gun dress! I just love the sweet fabric.



To round out the sweet day, I finally sold my Sugar and Spice beverage tray which has been in my shop forEVER. Yay! Thanks, Joanna! Also, I received my vintage decals in the mail and fashioned this stool for my craft room. Made a fabric covered bulletin board too!

P.S. Thanks for all the sweet and supportive comments and emails on my last ranting post; after being told I would be paid for my wholesale order since MAY, I was informed today that she decided not to include my items in her catalog, and she wanted to know where to send them back. What the heck am I going to do with 24 door hangers?? No way, sister. I am getting paid. I just do not understand dishonest people. But it's all ok-- I got nothin' but time to deal with her, and Mama is not happy (and you know how that saying goes). I have stacks of documentation, a complaint in to the Better Business Bureau, and an attorney for a husband. BRING IT.

5 comments:

Sarah and Jack said...

Turkeyville sounds like fun to me. :-)

The decal on the step is perfect.

Anonymous said...

You should have told me you were in town! We went to the zoo yesterday when they opened at 11. You make me laugh, so I continue to read.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend :)

Anonymous said...

Ooh! Those look delicious. Maybe I'll surprise the BF sometime soon with a batch. Love your blog and lurk all the time. I've come out of lurkdom to tag you! You're it!

Anonymous said...

You're blog is way too cool not to have a million more lurkers. I'll betcha you'll get quite a turn out come de-lurk day!