Sunday, December 30, 2007
Saturday, December 29, 2007
I'm all of a sudden freaking out and realizing what has to happen before this baby gets here. The biggest thing of which is renovating our bedroom into Quinn's toddler room. Seems easy enough-- but the logistics are killing me. And the fact that we have a 1,200 square foot space to work with isn't easy either. Moving furniture, painting, cleaning out just SCADS OF STUFF, and possibly having to get some more electrical work done is completely overwhelming me.
Oh, and look what else I found on Etsy today!!! It would look perfect with the Black Apple prints and gnome mirror, but I think I need to cool it until everything is in place and I can see where there are holes:
But! A little progress towards the name. Ryan's "considering" a name I like. We had decided Vivian, but we are both a tad sick of it now. I really like Violet, but he said no way. His top choices: Fallon, Tate, Tatum. VETOES! It's hard because our last name is pronounced "Muh-LA-lee", so it doesn't sound great with names ending in an "ee" sound or starting with an L or M or with too many L's or M's in them. I really like Mia and Leila, but he has vetoed, and I think it's for the best anyway because of the aforementioned challenges. Hey, any suggestions, throw them my way!
Posted by Girl Land at 2:12 PM
Thursday, December 27, 2007
Posted by Girl Land at 9:52 AM
Saturday, December 22, 2007
So I'm making my Christmas Strawberries to take to my parent's tomorrow, and I'm running out of red decorator sugar. Plus, my "dough" is getting mushy, so I needed to put it back in the fridge for a bit, so I'm taking a break.
Posted by Girl Land at 8:52 PM
Thursday, December 20, 2007
So my mom actually founded the garden club in the city where she lives. It now has something like 150 members. They have a garden tour in the summer, and they always have nifty activities. They just had a challenge, the purpose of which was to familiarize themselves with the types of rules and regulations you would have to adhere to if you were creating a display for a flower show. Flowers, in this challenge, were to be incorporated somehow into the display but not be the focus of the display.
Each member (men and women) had a certain sized box. Each was instructed to make it look like the viewer was peering through a window of some sort. Each space within the box had to be covered which meant you had to work vertically too. I just thought it was so interesting! There were no prizes or anything—it was just for fun, and last night they set up all their displays and walked around looking at everyone else’s.
My mom chose the appearance of looking through an attic window. She had an Alice in Wonderland thing going on. I thought it turned out so good! Ryan said it was creepy, but I love the whole feeling that the doll had been playing with the things surrounding her. It reminded me of a book that I liked from junior high. The Alice in Wonderland doll was my mom’s as a child. Here’s her display:
Posted by Girl Land at 9:28 AM
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
This is my idea of heaven-- and I would be 1 inch tall!
This is from Feather Your Nest in Arkansas. They have a TO DIE FOR online store and I can't believe I just found Gina's blog. Kudos to Gina for her blog muzak playlist which includes Fat Bottom Girls by Queen. The perfect blog-perusing tune! Ha.
I'm getting ants in my pants for Christmas. I'm so excited to give Q her new kitchen. I can't wait!
Posted by Girl Land at 1:35 PM
Reason #1,281 for wanting to learn to sew...I so want to make these:
Is everyone ready for Christmas?? I'm buying myself Photoshop from Ryan as my Xmas gift. What a guy. Can't wait to mess around with it! Also really REALLY want to buy a sewing machine. We'll see...
Oh, and my tentative baby-pulling day (I'm getting a c-section again) is May 1! If this pans out, Baby Girl M. will be sharing a birthday with one Mr. Wes Anderson, director of one of my faves, Bottle Rocket.
Posted by Girl Land at 10:09 AM
Tuesday, December 18, 2007
So Ryan has worked downtown Detroit (near Woodward and Larned) for almost 10 years now. Has parked in a parking structure with pedestrian access. He's had numerous appointments downtown as well in other locations of the city. ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM.
Last night, he had a work seminar downtown hooty tooty Birmingham. He parks at a parking structure directly across from hooty tooty Townsend Hotel adjacent to 220 Merrill. Here:
Gets out of his seminar, walks into the structure, and sees a dude smashing his driver's side window (with no luck) then back driver's side window with a crowbar! My husband then proceeds to run AFTER the man! If any of you know my husband, you will know that he is seriously the skinniest person you may ever meet. Although, he is unnaturally strong, I do not know what the HELL he thought he would do with this man if he caught up to him. I was quietly yelling at him (hard to do) on the phone telling him to get out of the frigging parking structure. Poor Q-- she looked at me like I was nuts. Although, she was watching Shrek the Halls for the 20th time, so she quickly lost interest in my tirade.
So to anyone who says Detroit is not safe, better watch out next time you go see a movie or pay $14 for a martini in the ol' B-Ham!!!!!
Posted by Girl Land at 8:57 AM
Monday, December 17, 2007
Posted by Girl Land at 1:18 PM
Posted by Girl Land at 11:00 AM
Friday, December 14, 2007
Without further ado, here are the Scared of Santa pics submitted (all 5 of them!). Scary Santas indeed!
1. This is Tracy around 2 years old. Wouldn't you be scared too? That Santa looks undead.
2. This is Anne's favorite Scared of Santa pic. She said she was looking for the weird kid in line before Ralphie, but couldn't find it.
3. This is Amy's daughter, Ramona. So she wasn't scared, per se, but Amy said the dude's beard was falling off and didn't even notice. Worthy of a chuckle, eh?
5. Here are Colleen's kids, Maeve and Finn. Finn looks kinda entranced by our bearded friend. Maeve-- not so much.
THANKS FOR VOTING!!! CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED! TRACY IS THE WINNER.
Posted by Girl Land at 4:59 PM
Thursday, December 13, 2007
So I thought it would be fun to do this contest...the lovely Colleen is the only person to play so far!!! I've got good vintage and handmade stuff available here, people!!! For free!!! Don't make me beg (hee hee).
On another whiny front, I have my first NPC (non-paying customer) on Etsy. I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt, but she placed a rather sizeable order. Sigh. It's been three days, and I finally decided to relist these three items above and request cancellation of the order.
I am, however, thankful for my wonderful health, family, and good luck in general (knock, knock, knock on wood). You cannot believe the amount of bad luck that has befallen some of my friends, their siblings, their teenage daughter's boyfriends, their husbands and daughters, etc. I know they will all muddle through and be ok in the end, but they shouldn't have to!! Really, I thank my lucky stars every day!
Posted by Girl Land at 10:37 AM
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Posted by Girl Land at 8:49 AM
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
Anywho, email me your fave Scared of Santa pic by Friday noon. It could be you as a kid, a relative, your child, a picture you find online, etc. I will post the funniest/scariest/most disturbing/most amusing three on Saturday and YOU can all vote for your fave. The pic with the most votes on Monday will get a hand-picked Girl Land mystery prize! Could be vintage items, supplies or handmade tchotchkes by yours truly.
My girl’s brunch and shopping excursion yesterday was so fun. My friend, Danielle, also said she was feeling like a “Christmas Loser” because I was undertaking so much holiday stuff. Funny, I feel the same after reading other people’s blogs! I explained that I am, by no means, Martha. To illustrate, not only did I smoke my guests out by filling the pan too full of rolls causing them to pop out of the pan causing brown sugar/butter to ooze out all over the inside of my stove and BURN, but my friend found a twist tie in the breakfast casserole. How GROSS! It was from the bread that went in the casserole (was wondering where it went!), but still gross. Oh, and I thought everyone was coming at 9:30, but my invite had stated 9. As my friend, Sue, says, “I’m shooting through”.
Posted by Girl Land at 11:28 AM
Monday, December 10, 2007
...as Q would say. To the best hubby (and daddy) ever. Who else wouldn't complain ONCE when asked to take/pick up from daycare on his b-day so his wife can go shopping with her friends???? I suppose the iPod touch didn't hurt (and coconut cream pie...yuck). Thank you for so many things! Happy 33rd. Love you!!! xo
Posted by Girl Land at 11:59 PM
Sunday, December 9, 2007
I still have to list my paperboard suitcases and Polaroid emulsions, but for the most part everything is up in my Etsy shop! The MICE show was a bit disappointing as far as traffic and sales (to say the least), but SO MUCH FUN. I always look forward to seeing Taryn, Carol, and Jason. They definitely made it worthwhile. Xoxo, you guys! Plus, I got to finally/officially meet Amanda who's so sweet. The beer and pizza were flowing, and I wish I could have partaken in the former. :)
Hope everyone had a fab weekend!
Posted by Girl Land at 11:04 PM
Friday, December 7, 2007
Things I Like Today:
- Last Christmas by Wham. Wonderfully cheesy and nostalgic. Oh. My. Gawd. I just found this picture. So great!
- Cosi’s Signature Salad w/ reduced fat sherry shallot vinaigrette, dried cranberries, pistachios, grapes, and stinky bleu cheese (yes, I’m a bad PG woman and still eat bleu cheese)! YUM!
- Q’s Xmas Gift that Ryan assembled last weekend. It’s in our guest room (where she plays often) with a blanket over it. Ahhh, the joys of having a 2 year old. Even if she sees it (and she’s never even attempted), she’d forget anyway.
- My super blunt boss. He just said, “You smell like coneys (= coney dogs),” after eating #2 above. He probably would have also told me if I had greens in my teeth. I actually appreciate his bluntness quite a bit. He’s quite a character and a pretty good boss.
- 30 Rock, 30 Rock, 30 Rock. I’d like to buy stock in the Sheinhardt Wig Company. Can I do that? Maybe I’ll just get one of these shirts.
- http://www.retailmenot.com/. This is the best place to find online coupon codes! Such a great service. I try to add any online coupons I find too to share the love.
- This picture! I didn't take it. Crafty Beaver did! Isn't it great??
- The MICE show tomorrow! I have everything made but decided last minute not to use my Girl Land banner, so I’m going to make a Girl Land tree topper tonight to post my shop name. Not for sale of course. Also have to stamp up some more bags, but then I’m done.
- 5th Annual Brunch w/ the girls Monday. Four of us take the day off work, have brunch at my house, drink bloody marys and mimosas, then go to Twelve Oaks to shop! Rule is PG people are the DD’s. Yes, we get that buzzed typically. It’s the one time each year that I get to bust out my grandmother’s Spode and entertain. This year, I’m making my favorite breakfast casserole, monkey bread, and a spiced fruit compote.
- My ultrasound Tuesday! Q will soon learn whether she’ll have a little bro or sister coming. My gut feeling (no pun intended) is a boy. Of course I don’t care either way although I’m a bit lazy, so I just keep thinking how much more convenient a girl would be since we have all the clothes, room is already painted girlie, etc.
- Christmas strawberries. I’m making cookies this weekend: Buckeyes, Hello Dollies (aka moon bars), frosted sugar cookies, and my beloved strawberries. Check out the comments I made on this recipe (I’m the first one) because the plastic stems are a must (no green sugar!). Warning: though they may look incredibly pretty and festive, besides my brother, cousin, and sis-in-law who have grown to love them, I don’t know many other people who do. Will post a pic after I make them. Need to think of some more innovative ways to package cookies for my friends/neighbors (check out Julie’s super cute idea!).
Have a lovely weekend full of fires in the fireplace, large mugs of peppermint hot cocoa, pretty snow that doesn’t stick to the roads, and non-stressful holiday shopping (boy, was that an oxymoron)!
Posted by Girl Land at 3:17 PM
Wednesday, December 5, 2007
Posted by Girl Land at 8:00 AM
Tuesday, December 4, 2007
I have to give you all a warning. I have never EVER had a problem with eBay ‘lo these many years I have used it. Well, until this weekend. I had to have this egg nog bowl and mugs. I was going to buy Naomi’s but then I saw the whole set and decided I “needed” it. For what, I have no idea.
So my advice to all you eBay buyers is this. Before bidding, you apparently need to confirm shipping with the seller (even if it is clearly indicated on their listing) because while sellers are “encouraged” to indicate proper shipping charges, current eBay policy does not mandate that their invoice reflects the shipping charges that were quoted on their listing. I ended up paying almost $5.00 more than was quoted on the listing page. So anywho, all, buyer beware.
Edit: I have calmed down *a bit* and after reading my post again, I felt like a total crazy woman. Therefore, this has been edited down a bit to convey my intended "warning to ebay buyers" only. :) Oh, and to show you my cute egg nog set. Sorry for freaking out. Ommmmmmm, ommmmmmmm, ommmmmmm.
Posted by Girl Land at 2:21 PM
Monday, December 3, 2007
So as I was saying yesterday, we took Q and her buddy to see Santa. This is about as close as I could get her.
Today, I was listening to the radio, and they were talking about websites that post “Scared of Santa” pics. Here are some of my favorites from the particular site I visited. Can you BLAME these kids for freaking? This first Santa almost made me wet my pants.
I’m not sure if the parents realize the severity of the trauma they could be causing. For example, have you seen Silent Night Deadly Night? Pretty amusing (but bad) B-movie from the 80s about a traumatized kid who freaks out and punishes all the “naughty” people. I tried to find the theme song lyrics online because they are extremely disturbing but make me laugh at the same time. All I could find were these:
Santa’s Watching/Santa’s Creeping
Now you’re nodding/now you’re sleeping
Were you good for Mom and Dad?
Santa knows if you’ve been bad.
If that doesn’t scare the hell outta you, I don’t know what would. I’m very much attracted to the vintage Santas with like the red felt fuzzy bodies, but I can admit they are very scary. Here’s a favorite ornament from childhood.
Ok, to conclude and to round out the whole theme of this post, I need to show you the picture of the gift I had originally purchased for Ryan and my brother (Joel, I bought you something else instead). After further consideration, I kind of think most people would think “WTF” if they opened this. Even if it is cool and even if Tina was watching Twin Peaks while making them. Ryan’s still getting one though (and Joel, if you like it, you can have it too…no pressure tho).
Isn’t it great?? Do you guys think I'm weird?
Posted by Girl Land at 8:21 PM
Sunday, December 2, 2007
Hope everyone had a lovely weekend! My friend and I took our girls to my hometown yesterday to do a little shopping. They got to see Santa. Q decided "No like-a Santa Clausen". She was ok, but she wouldn't get too close to him. There were absolutely no other kids there, and the Santa is friends with my parents. He's been Santa for like 20 years and has a real full beard. Ah, the joys of a small town.
Watched this video yesterday, and I'm in love with it. Maybe my brother can tell me what the heck she's saying since it's in Japanese.
Posted by Girl Land at 8:17 PM
Saturday, December 1, 2007
Posted by Girl Land at 12:28 AM