Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Squeeeeeeeeze

I used to roll my eyes (on the inside) when women would say they cried when they had to leave their kids to go back to work. Now I only have 5 days left with my girls before my return to the daily grind after a 3 month maternity leave, and I am the sap feeling weepy.

I have been snuggling a little longer at bedtime with Quinn and stealing some kanoodle time during the day with both of them. I've been watching and studying them a little bit longer than usual. I think about how lucky we are, and I think of a quote from The Diving Bell and the Butterfly that REMINDS me how lucky we are...and then I sob like a crazy woman.

[For those of you who haven't seen the movie or read the book, it's a true story of a 42 year old man who has a stroke and is totally paralyzed except for one eyelid which he uses to dictate his memoirs by blinking the alphabet.] He speaks of his situation and of one of his sons:

"I, his father have lost the simple right to ruffle his bristly hair, clasp his downy neck, hug his small, lithe, warm body tight against me"

On a lighter note, another FABU Grosgrain contest. I think Viv needs this for sure. So go enter Kathleen's Popcorn Bloomer and Blouse Giveaway.


I'm going to go watch my kids sleeping and scare the poop out of them now...

2 comments:

Sarah and Jack said...

Hugs to you.

Cristin said...

I'm right there with you being a sappy mess about leaving the kids (who drive me insane by the way... is that irony?? It's somethin.....)

By sheer force of will I will slow down time for you so your remaining 5 days last months ok???

I love scaring my kids too...