Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Dionne Quints

I had been hemming and hawing about buying this picture for my craftroom. But when Michelle added the background of the pic to her Etsy listing, I knew I had to have it (photo courtesy of MyWagonette).



The Dionne quintuplets were born in Canada in 1934 and were the first known quintuplets in the world. They were taken away from their parents and raised in a hospital and became Canada's second largest tourist attraction (next to Niagra Falls). Apparently, two of the sisters are still alive today. Apparently, the Canadian government made over $500 million at their expense. Unsure as to how much the ladies actually saw of that (probably none).


The dolls in the picture were produced by Madam Alexander in 1938 and are now worth a pretty penny (even the reproduction dolls are expensive). I would love to own the whole set, but I will settle for the picture. Sigh...what a tragic story.


On another note, don't forget to become a Girl Land fan on Facebook AND/OR leave a comment to my post from last week! You have until Friday. Tell your friends. Whoot.

1 comment:

Alli (One Pearl Button) said...

Wow, what a sad story. The photo is wonderful, though.

On a lighter note, when are we going to get a new Wide Awake chapter?! Argh, I'm so impatient!